A nutty flavoured, fresh, Asian style wombok salad. Wombok is also known as Napa Cabbage or Chinese Cabbage. It’s a great ingredient because it can be eaten fresh and raw like in this wonderful salad. Or you can slice it up and put in stir frys, soups or casseroles.
This wombok salad is easy and quick to make, satisfying, and a great accompaniment to any type of meat, fish or chicken. Simply fry up a few strips and have this salad on the side. For vegetarians add some tofu or tempeh to the mix.
It’s packed with nutrition and the dressing is full of calcium from the tahini. Hope you enjoy it 🙂
- 6 whole wombok leaves (chinese cabbage)
- 1 carrot – cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 red bell pepper – sliced finely
- 2 spring onions – sliced finely
- 1/2 cup cashews
- Handful of fresh coriander (aka cilantro) leaves
- For the dressing…
- 1 Tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp tamari or coconut aminos
- Throw all the salad stuff into a big bowl and mix to combine
- Mix the dressing ingredients into a jar and shake very well, then serve in a small serving bowl. It’s pretty thick.
- The salad will make about 5-6 serves and will keep in the fridge covered for a few days. Drizzle a bit of dressing on the salad when you want to eat it or mix it through the salad if you are serving it to eat immediately
Storage – Will keep in the fridge covered for a few days as long as you don’t put the dressing over it. Otherwise it tends to go soggy but will keep okay until the next day.
Turn it into a meal – Fry up some chicken or beef strips, allow them to cool, then stir them through the salad for an easy meal. Grab a BBQ (rotisserie) chicken from the store if you’re in a hurry and make this salad, rip off chicken strips and put it through the salad.
I try and eat one salad a day. What about you, do you eat plenty of salads?