The past few months have been stressful for me so at the moment I’m working on getting my body back on track after experiencing adrenal burnout from all the stress. This amazing calming soup for the soul was a delight on the menu. I call it the ‘Green Superfood Soup’ or the ‘Cruciferous, anti-inflammatory weight loss soup’. It’s got awesome nutritional value and it’s very calming for the adrenals and hormones.
Cruciferous vegetables are well known for their anti-inflammatory properties, they are full of valuable micronutrients that we can all become easily deprived in. And a soup like this will help provide nutrition you need and calm your whole system so that your diegestive processes function better and therefore weight loss is easier. Not to mention that it the soup makes a great snack at mid morning or afternoon and is very satisfying.
The soup also has wakame seaweed, a good source of iodine, vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, C, E, K, folate, soluble/insoluble fibre, and Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acid (EPA). And to top it off there’s kale, packed with vitamin K, A, C, manganese, folate, amino acid tryptophan, calcium, B6, and other important stuff. The idea is to load the body up with nutrients because often when we are depleted our body is starving for nutrition and really needs the boost.
The good thing about this soup is that the whole family will enjoy it. Don’t let the colour of the soup fool you, it almost fooled my family as they turned their nose up at it and said it looked a bit strange. But they loved it!. It’s got a thick, creamy texture with a bit of coconut cream added to the mix, and it has a wonderful flavour. And secretly I think it’s all the goodness in the soup that makes the body want some more 🙂
GREEN SUPERFOOD SOUP
- 1/2 brocolli (approx: 185g – 0.4lbs)
- 2 leeks – sliced
- 1 onion – roughly diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic oil or minced garlic
- 1 cup green split peas – soaked for 1 hour before hand, rinsed and added to pan
- 1/4 medium cauliflower (approx: 310g – 0.7lbs)
- 9-10g dry wakame seaweed – soaked for 10 min, and cut roughly
- 80g kale – roughly chopped
- 6 ice cubes stock – approx: 1/2 cup
- generous pinch sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- enough water to cover
- Oil for cooking
- Coconut cream
- Heat oil in a large pan, then add leeks and onions and cook until brown
- Add all other ingredients into the pan with the stock and enough water to cover.
- Simmer over a low heat for approximately 1 hour or until split peas are soft
- Blend in blender to combine all ingredients and make a very thick green soup
- Add a little coconut cream and water to make it the consistency you like. If you like it thicker, add less liquid.
- Season with a little salt and pepper if you like and enjoy
Hope you enjoy it 🙂