I’m not a huge fan of beef unless it’s cooked right, and generally I like it in some kind of sauce or at least with a nice rub or something. So I was browsing about online for some images and inspiration and came up with a super simple beef coconut curry that was sensational. It takes about 15 minutes to make and for those of you that know me, you know I love fast easy meals.
My partner thought is was a satay when he tasted it because it has a deep rustic flavour. It also has a nice spice to it with the addition of the hot paprika. This is definitely a recipe for the regular rotation menu.
- 350g (12oz) beef rump or sirloin steak – sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 onion – sliced
- 1 carrot – julienne sliced
- 1 zucchini – julienne sliced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or other stock – use water if you don’t have stock
- 1/2 cup coconut cream or milk (the thicker the better)
- Oil for cooking
- In a bowl mix the beef with 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika, and the sesame oil. Mix well to combine.
- In a small bowl mix the rest of the spices ready to add to the pan for cooking.
- Heat a large non stick pan over a high heat.
- Add the beef and cook off on both sides for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Add a little more oil to the pan, and saute onions and carrots together until onions are browned and cooked well.
- Add the spices to the pan and cook off for one minute to allow aromas to come out.
- Add the zucchini, and the stock and turn the heat down to low.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes until the veggies are cooked to your desire. I like them a little crisp you may like them soft.
- Add the beef back to the pan, along with the coconut cream.
- Heat through for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with brown rice, cauliflower rice, or shredded steamed cabbage.
Why on earth would you want to buy a jar of sauce when making real food like this is so simple?!
I hope you’ll give it a try
P.S. Share it with friends to share some real food inspiration and show them how easy it can be 🙂
Like this recipe? Subscribe to my weekly newsletter for food inspiration and healthy eating motivation.