I’m not a huge fan of beef unless it’s cooked right, and generally I like it in some kind of sauce or at least with a nice rub or something. So I was browsing about online for some images and inspiration and came up with a super simple beef coconut curry that was sensational. It takes about 15 minutes to make and for those of you that know me, you know I love fast easy meals.
My partner thought is was a satay when he tasted it because it has a deep rustic flavour. It also has a nice spice to it with the addition of the hot paprika. This is definitely a recipe for the regular rotation menu.
- 350g (12oz) beef rump or sirloin steak – sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 onion – sliced
- 1 carrot – julienne sliced
- 1 zucchini – julienne sliced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or other stock – use water if you don’t have stock
- 1/2 cup coconut cream or milk (the thicker the better)
- Oil for cooking
- In a bowl mix the beef with 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika, and the sesame oil. Mix well to combine.
- In a small bowl mix the rest of the spices ready to add to the pan for cooking.
- Heat a large non stick pan over a high heat.
- Add the beef and cook off on both sides for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Add a little more oil to the pan, and saute onions and carrots together until onions are browned and cooked well.
- Add the spices to the pan and cook off for one minute to allow aromas to come out.
- Add the zucchini, and the stock and turn the heat down to low.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes until the veggies are cooked to your desire. I like them a little crisp you may like them soft.
- Add the beef back to the pan, along with the coconut cream.
- Heat through for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with brown rice, cauliflower rice, or shredded steamed cabbage.
Why on earth would you want to buy a jar of sauce when making real food like this is so simple?!
I hope you’ll give it a try
P.S. Share it with friends to share some real food inspiration and show them how easy it can be
Like this recipe? Subscribe to my weekly newsletter for food inspiration and healthy eating motivation.