Yesterday we covered what foods to include in the 7 Day Detox Challenge (starting September 1st – see here). We’re not doing a fasting or juice detox because these are more difficult and we have people involved at various different levels. Fasting and juice detox diets also put more stress on the body, and to tell you the truth the majority of people won’t stick to a detox that’s too hard, can you relate? Have you tried a fasting or juice detox and found it difficult?
The whole idea is that you want to stick to this detox for the entire 7 days, so I’ve made the program easy and achievable for everyone to follow. Now eating a clean diet doesn’t mean tasteless food. So today I thought I’d share a few detox diet recipes, more specifically a few sauces you can include to add more flavour to your meals. I’ve got a basil pesto sauce, a red bell pepper (capsicum) sauce, and an easy curry powder you can use to make a simple curry.
This pesto is best made at least a day before use, if not 2 days. It allows the sweet flavours of the pine nuts to mix with the basil otherwise it can be a bit bitter. So if you taste it fresh and it tastes horrible, just leave it in the fridge a couple of days because the flavour develops. Trust me when I say next time you taste it, it should be super sweet, no additional ingredients needed.
- *80g (2.8oz) basil – it doesn’t matter too much on the quantity, just use a whole bunch – remove the leaves from stems
- *150g (5.2oz) pine nuts
- *½ cup olive oil – add a little more if you think it needs to be a bit smoother
- *1 teaspoon lemon juice
- *small pinch salt
- Place everything in the blender and blend until smooth. You may have to stop it and scrape down the sides.
- Place in a jar and leave for 1-2 days before use
- Keeps in the fridge for a few weeks
Easy Curry Powder
- *2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- *2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- *1 teaspoon coriander/cilantro powder
- *½ teaspoon chili flakes
- *½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- *Extras to add to the curry sauce when cooking
- *1 teaspoon tamarind paste (optional)
- *Lemon juice (1-2 tablespoons)
- *Coconut cream
*4 Red Bell Peppers (capsicums)
1. Heat the oven to 350° F (180° C)
2. Halve bell peppers, core and deseed them
3. Rub them inside and out with the olive oil and place on a pan – makes your hands nice and greasy. Doesn’t matter which way you place them because you will flip them.
4. Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes then flip.
5. Cook for a further 20-30 minutes or until they are brown and the skin is lifting
6. Allow to cool
7. Once they are cool, peel off as much skin as you can – a bit of a fiddly and messy job!
8. Place in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth
That’s it! You’ve got a sweet, bright roasted red bell pepper sauce to go! Serve over all your favorite meats, on salads, as a dip for carrot sticks and anything else you can think of.
So there are a few ideas to keep you inspired and your meals super tasty during the detox. I hope you enjoy them.
I’ll be sharing plenty more meal inspiration as we go along 🙂
If you find some great recipes, I’d love you to share them.
P.S. If you want to attend a FREE webinar (online meetup), and join us in my private forum for the 7 days. Click here to read about the challenge and join.