Diet is the most significant healing factor when it comes to ridding your body of candida albicans. You have to starve them out and this requires VERY STRICT adherence to a diet that excludes all the foods that feed the bacteria. You have to stick to the diet 24/7 for a minimum of 6 weeks with absolutely no cheating.
If you cheat or eat sugar or any of the other foods in any form, the candida can quickly get a hold again and you won’t be able to kill it off effectively. This is probably the biggest obstacle to get around because it requires a HUGE shift in mindset to accept that you will not be able to eat certain things, at least for a while. Depending on the severity of symptoms you may have to stick to the diet much longer.
Still if you keep 6 weeks in mind as a starting point, if it turns out you have to keep going longer, by then you will be in a good routine and will find it easy to do. The benefit is that the diet starts to make you feel so good that you may even want to keep eating this way for the long term. Perhaps not so strictly but as a good solid base.
Anyway the point is you can’t have the foods to avoid, period. Once you get your head around that, you can enjoy all the things you can have in abundance and get on with life
Candida Diet Foods Allowed List
- Loads of veggies – these should form the basis of the plan.
- Organic butter
- Clean proteins – no antibiotic hormone residues so free range chicken, grass fed organic beef and so forth
- Healthy fats – olive oil, coconut oil, walnut oil, macadamia nut oil, flaxseed oil and avocado.
- Gluten free whole grains – brown rice, qunioa, millet, amaranth, buckwheat and steel cut or gluten free oats.
- Green tea
- Gluten free, yeast free bread products – you can make your own bread from wholegrain gluten free flour or coconut flour.
- Sweet potatoes and yams – in moderation
- Make your own salad dressings
- All raw nuts and seeds except peanuts and pistachios – only a small handful a day, approximately 1/4 cup.
- Coconut milk or almond milk
- Coconut water
- Beans – except kidney beans. Here’s how to prepare and cook beans properly.
- Herbal teas
- Hummus – you probably need to make your own because you can’t eat vinegar.
- Guacamole – make your own
- Vinegar free salsa
- Apple cider vinegar – the only type of vinegar allowed
- Medicinal mushrooms – maitake, sjitake, chaga, reishi.
- Fresh or dried herbs and spices
So basically it’s a clean eating plan based on fresh whole foods. A diet we should all be eating anyway
Here’s 3 posts that might help too.
Candida Diet Foods To Avoid List
The foods below are all the foods you have to eliminate completely for minimum 6 weeks.
- All sugar in all forms including natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup and so forth. The only sweetener you can have is stevia in small amounts but it’s still best to avoid all forms for the first 6 weeks.
- Artificial sweeteners like aspartame
- Refined carbs and grains – your white flours, rice and pastas.
- Malt or malted products
- Most natural sweeteners as mentioned above
- Dairy – except cottage cheese and plain yogurt.
- Gluten – all products containing wheat, barly and rye.
- Fried foods
- Fruit – all types and dried fruits too.
- Smoked and cured meats – bacon, ham, smoked salmon and packaged meats.
- Coffee and black tea
- Sodas, sports drinks, fruit juices, and sweet drinks
- Yeast containing foods
- Citric acid
- Preservatives – frequently derived from various yeasts.
- Vinegar and all products containing vinegar (except apple cider vinegar) – many suaces and condiments, tinned and jarred items, cider,
- Fermented foods – including kombucha, saukraut, and other fermented foods like sourdough, soy sauce, miso, sauces, condiments. Though these are beneficial for the gut, they are not great for candida initially due to the sugar content and are best avoided.
- Alcohol – all types
- Mold containing foods – mushrooms excpet for the medicinal ones mentioned above.
- Peanuts and pistachios
- All products containing even a little bit of the above mentioned (which is a lot)
It may seem like you have to exclude loads of foods but there are still loads of foods to enjoy, it’s just that most of the food has to be prepared from real whole foods. It may seem a bit overwheleming at first but it is possible and the food is still delicious.
The Candida Diet Food Ratio
As a general guide
- 40-50% vegetables
- 30-40% high quality meats, poutltry, fish, eggs
- 10% root veggies, legumes, beans, grains
- 1 small handfuls nuts and of course the inclusion of healthy fats.
There’s plenty of foods to choose from and I will be sharing some recipes in future posts. So if you’re currently facing the challenge of having to follow a candida diet, foods are still enjoyable to eat even though it looks like you have to cut many food items out.
Although there is a supplement routine to follow, in the beginning just getting the diet going is the most important factor and it’s usually enough to cope with initially. Cutting out all those sugars and processed foods also usually causes a detox reaction and you don’t want to make it worse initially by taking antifungals as well.
Get the diet on track and next get the supplements in order.
Nutritionist & Health Counselor
P.S. Be sure to check out the Candida Meal Plans. Being someone that’s been there myself, I have created loads of delicious candida recipes. The meal plans really do help make the diet a lot more interesting for you, and much easy to follow and overcome candida.