This is an easy butter chicken recipe that everyone will love. If you get prepared with all your ingredients before getting started on the recipe it only takes 10 minutes to cook. You can choose your base and it will taste great any way you eat it.
Gluten free version
You can serve it with some brown rice and greens on the side if you like them.
Low carb version
Serve it with some lettuce leaves and shredded lettuce underneath. Or serve the butter chicken with cauliflower rice.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 spring onions/scallions – sliced finely
- 1 red onion – finely diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon garam marsala
- 1 teaspoon cummin
- 1 teaspoon chilli paste (sambal oelek)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1kg (2.2lb) chicken breast – cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour (arrowroot)
- To serve: brown rice, cauliflower rice or lettuce and greens
- The key with this recipe is to prepare everything before starting and then the cooking process is easy.
- Place the sliced onion and spring onion (scallion) in a small bowl.
- In another bowl place the butter, lemon juice, grated ginger, minced garlic, chilli paste, minced garlic, garam marsala, cummin, and bay leaf.
- And in a 3rd bowl place the portions of greek yogurt and milk
- And have the tomato puree ready to go, along with the salt and pepper
- Next in a wok or large pan, heat a teaspoon coconut oil
- Add the onion and spring onion/scallion and fry off for 1 minute
- Add the bowl of buteer and spices and cook off for a further 1 minute to melt butter and allow aromas to emerge
- Next add the tomato puree to the pan and simmer for 1 minute
- Add the milk and yogurt then allow to simmer on low for 5-10 minutes
- Meanwhile in another large pan, heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Add the chicken and fry off for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally
- When the chicken is browned on the outside but still pink, add it into the butter sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes, the chicken will continue to cook and should be super tender to eat
- Serve with your brown rice, cauliflower rice or some lettuce and greens
It really is super easy to make your own sauces from scratch and it’s way better for you too.
I hope you enjoy it
P.S. Interested in some weekly real food meal plans?
They’re out next week so Subscribe to my newsletter and I’ll let you know when they are ready 🙂