I have never liked the coleslaw from the store, it is just so sweet and you really don’t need a sweet coleslaw!
My daughter is the same, she has never eaten coleslaw anywhere else but at home. She likes mine but not any of the others.
So I’ve got a homemade easy coleslaw recipe that I’d like to share with you today and it’s even made with a homemade mayonnaise. You may think that making maynonnaise would be difficult and take a long time, but it takes just 5-10 minutes and then you know you’re eating something super healthy.
- 1/4 white cabbage
- 1.5 large carrots
- 1 red bell pepper (capsicum)
- 3 spring onions/scallions or 1/4 red onion
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise – I use homemade, see recipe link below
- Grate the carrot into a large mixing bowl
- Core and deseed the bell pepper (capsicum), then dice it and place in bowl
- Shred the cabbage very finely, then chop it cross ways as well, then place in bowl
- Finely slice the spring onions or dice the red onion very finely, place in bowl
- Mix all together
- Stir in the mayonnaise
This makes quite a large batch so you can expect to eat it over a few days. Alternatively it makes a great salad to include at a party because it is so plentiful.
It will keep for 3-5 days in the fridge and I always find it’s best left overnight before using it as it allows the juices and flavours to combine.
Hope you enjoy it
P.S. Want healthy meals like this every day? Check out my weekly meal plans, all planned for you every week for less than a cup of coffee. Click here for details.