Did you know that it is absolutely essential for us to get water into our bodies?
Yet surprisingly many people rarely drink enough of it. In fact some people never drink water at all, which is a shocking fact. So I thought I’d share some of the important health benefits of water and some facts too.
1. Our body is largely water
60% of the body is made up of water. All of the fluid, including your blood contains a component of water.
2. If you’re thirsty you’re already dehydrated
By the time you feel like you have a dry mouth you are already dehydrated. You see there is a time delay between your body’s water needs and your sensory awareness. Being thirsty is the first sign that your body is lacking 1-2% body water.
3. Water keeps our body functioning
Here are some of the important things water does in your body:
- Carries nutrients and waste products
- Maintains the structure of molecules in the body
- Helps metabolic functions
- Helps minerals, vitamins, amino acids, glucose and other molecules perform their job
- Needed for body temp regulation
- Maintains blood volume which has an influence over blood pressure
4. Dehydration causes aches, pains and inflammation
Water also acts as a lubricant and cushion around joints and spinal cord so dehydration can contribute to aches and pains and increased inflammation. So if you have a chronic pain condition or feel more aches and pains than usual, try increasing your water intake.
5. Dehydration affects your brain
If you have been feeling tired, disoriented, lack concentration, or feel grumpy. Or if you suffer from headaches, migraines, or depression, ask yourself if you’re drinking enough water.
6. Helps remove toxins from the body
Water helps flush out your kidneys and liver, the two organs involved in removing toxins effectively from the body. Removing toxins helps your body function better overall, it helps weight loss, and it helps promote better, clearer skin.
7. Increases energy
Getting your average water requirement each day definitely helps to improve your energy. Most of us need all the energy we can get so this could be the simple key for a bit more of this precious resource.
So how much water should you drink?
Now that is one huge list of health benefits of water right?! But how much should you drink every day?
Well the general recommendation is at least 8 glasses per day. I find about 1.5-2 litres per day works well. Seems like a lot I know and at first it’s a bit hard to get used to but when you do it consistently you do notice you feel better overall.
How Can You Get All That Water In Everyday
- Start early in the day and have one glass of water as soon as you get out of bed
- Pace yourself throughout the day so you meet your quota
- Take a couple of water bottles out with you at all times
- Drink a bit more water before and after exercise
- Just drink water
Or fill 1-2 large bottles at the beginning of the day and make sure you get through those every day.
Water is really a miraculous source of health for us, it’s natural and it’s free!
I better go fill up my bottles now 🙂
DO you drink lots of water?
I’d love to know, so let me know by leaving me a comment below.
Have a great day
P.S. Subscribe to my weekly newsletter for weekly health tips and resources.