Tacos are a favourite in my house but we no longer do the traditional corn taco shells, most of the time we eat the taco mix in lettuce leaves. So I thought I’d share my ground beef tacos recipe with you. Of course it’s made with dried spices, none of this instant taco mix stuff, it’s just not necessary because it’s so easy!
I love finger food, sure it’s messy but there’s just something about getting everyone around the table and getting your hands into the mix right?
We often have our ground beef mix with grated carrot, cucumber, grated cheese, and cottage cheese. If you’re dairy free you can skip the cheese and cottage cheese, I often do. Simply add some hummus or avocado instead and they will be equally as nice. And of course you can include anything in the mix that you like, some extra veggies or condiments.
And if you’ve never had tacos with lettuce leaves, you really must try it, it’s refreshing and works really well. My whole family loves to eat them this way and I’m sure yours will too 🙂
- 500g (1.1lb) ground beef (mince)
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin mixed beans (or adzuki beans) – drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ – 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes – depends how hot and spicy you like it
- 1 onion – diced finely
- Iceberg lettuce – whole leaves
- 1 large carrot – grated
- 1 lebanese cucumber – julienne sliced
- Cheese – grated
- Cottage cheese
- 1 red bell pepper – sliced (optional- as an additional side)
- 1 avocado – (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan and add diced onions, sauté until brown
- Add the ground beef and start to gently brown off the meat
- Once the meat is lightly browned add the spices and stir in to release the aromas
- Add the 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and stir to combine. let cook off for 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the tin of tomatoes and the beans
- Bring to the boil and then turn the heat down to low and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Meanwhile, prepare all your vegetables into separate bowls, ready for serving
- Once ground beef mix is ready, place in a bowl
- You are now ready to sit down and get your hands dirty. Start by spreading a generous portion of cottage cheese or avocado onto a lettuce leaf cup. Then add some sliced bell pepper and grated carrot. Top it with some beef mixture, a bit of cheese, and cucumber, and then wrap it all up in the lettuce leaf and ENJOY.
Hope you enjoy them 🙂