Does saturated fat clog arteries? We all seem to have this picture in our heads of the pipes inside our bodies suddenly getting filled by the fat we eat, right? But it is a bit more multifaceted than that as there are various components that lead to unhealthy arteries.
Still you might be surprised to know that saturated fat may not be as bad as it’s cracked up to be.
In this podcast we explore:
- Where the idea that saturated fat clogs arteries has come from
- Some revealing things about Omega 6/Omega 3 polyunsaturated fats
- LDL cholesterol and what contributes to it getting higher
- The fact that saturated fat has not been linked to increased LDL
- And the multifaceted things that contribute to clogged arteries, namely increased inflammation
Previous Podcasts of interest to this topic
Recent Saturated Fat Research Articles
1. Skeaff CM, Miller J. Ann Nutr Metab 2009;55:173–201.
2. Mente A. Arch Intern Med 2009;169:659–69.
3. Siri-Tarino PW et al. Am J Clin Nutr 2010;91:535–46.
4. Dias C.B. et al. / Medical Hypotheses 82 (2014) 187–195
5. Silver et al. Metabolism Clinical and Experimental. 2014:63;562-573.
Hope you enjoy the podcast and stay tuned for more info regarding saturated fats
Nutrition & Health Counselor