Have you tried soba noodles? They aren’t a common food. They are buckwheat noodles. Although buckwheat sounds like wheat, it’s not. Buckwheat is a gluten free grain. The Japanese use soba noodles quite a lot. I don’t use them that often but they are delicious and make a great addition on the odd occasion.
They are a little more difficult than other noodles to cook, because you really need to watch them timing wise, and also you have to make sure you add cold water to the mix a few times while cooking. I just follow the instructions on the pack so if you do the same I’m sure they will turn out great for you too. You won’t find soba noodles at the supermarket but you can get soba noodles from most health food stores.
As for pesto, I make my own. You can get the recipe for homemade pesto here. It’s great! Cost effective, contains all natural ingredients, and can be kept in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. So give it a try.
Anyway, let’s move onto the recipe 🙂
Chicken Pesto with Soba Noodles
- ½ large onion – sliced
- 1 carrot – julienne
- 1 cob corn – kernals removed
- 7 brussel sprouts – sliced up finely
- 430g (15oz) chicken breast or thigh – diced
- 3 tablespoons pesto – see link below for recipe
- 1 teaspoon tamari or braggs liquid aminos
- Oil for cooking
- 250g (8.8oz) pack soba noodles
- Mix diced chicken in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of pesto and 1 teaspoon tamari or aminos
- Heat oil in a large pan or wok
- Add chicken and fry until almost cooked – don’t overcook it, you want it nice and tender
- Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl
- Add a little more oil to pan, add onion and saute until browning
- Add the rest of veggies and saute until cooked
- Meanwhile cook your soba noodles as per the instructions on the packet – you can pre-prepare soba if you prefer
- When the veggies are almost done, add the chicken back to the pan, along with 2 more tablespoons pesto
- Add the noodles to the pan, mix all to combine and heat through for 2-3 minutes
- Serve and enjoy
Want more healthy tasty meal ideas? Click here
to receive them weekly!
Hope you enjoy this one
Nutrition & Health Coach