I’ve always been proactive in using natural antibiotic remedies with my family and have found them very effective. My kids have never had pharmaceutical antibiotics in their life and I haven’t had them myself in over 20 years, I can’t actually remember the last time.
I made a conscious choice early on to adopt the use of natural solutions where ever possible because I truly believe the body has the capacity to fight disease in it’s own way. Sure pharmaceutical antibiotics have their place in some situations but in many cases I don’t think we need them and they seem to be over prescribed.
Research that I have done has shown that antibiotics can often compromise our immunity and even have a negative impact on our health. So if this is the case, why on earth would we want to take them?
Anyway, I’m not here to harp on about my opinion, but to share 5 powerful natural antibiotics that have proved to be effective in warding off disease in my family.
5 Powerful Natural Antibiotic Remedies
1. Echinacea – an incredibly powerful immune booster that helps the body attack viral and bacteria infections that can cause illness. Some studies show that echinacea alone may reduce the chance of getting colds by up to 58%. My family has always used the echinacea liquid taken with water. It tastes disgusting but I think it’s more powerful taken this way, for those that can’t stand it a capsule form may suit you better and will still provide benefits. Learn more about echinacea here.
2. Astragalus – a miracle Chinese traditional herb that has so many amazing health benefits it’s not funny! This herb can fight off almost anything, I’m totally convinced of that. It supports immune function and fights all kinds of stressors on many different levels, physical, mental, and emotional. My top 2 choices are a combo of echinacea and astragalus when it comes to natural anitbiotics. Learn more about astragalus here.
3. Olive leaf extract – olive leaves have been used as a heart tonic and immune support for many years but the power in olive leaf extract is it’s antioxidant power. It is said to have more than 400% more antioxidant power than vitamin C. This helps fight the free radicals that might damage your cells and helps support a fast recovery and ward off illness.
4. Garlic – a long known home remedy used as an anti viral. And because it’s cheap and can be taken as cloves, many people have used it. Personally I can’t stand eating or taking garlic because it gives me indigestion. But it’s worked well in capsule form with my kids when they’ve had something lingering about. And it’s still considered one of the best natural antibiotics there is.
5. Pau D’arco – studies done with pau d’arco have shown how effective it is at fighting some types of bacteria, fungi, viruses, candida, and parasites in the body. It is also a powerful anti-inflammatory. It’s mostly used to ward off infections but is also used to support many conditions and it helps to strengthen the immune system and flush toxins out of the body. This herb can be taken as capsules, extract or in tea form. I keep the tea handy and give it to the family if anything comes along.
These are the top natural antibiotics that I would recommend keeping on hand at all times. It doesn’t have to be difficult to stay healthy, and having the support of nature’s goodness is a wonderful thing.
Hope you find them just as helpful.
Nutrition & Health Coach