During colder days it’s often nice to have a warm salad of some kind. This is more of a bake I guess but I couldn’t think of a name for it so it is now called the ‘Roast Salad’. If you’ve got a better name for it, I’m all ears 🙂
One thing I am trying to do lately is provide recipes that can be cooked and prepared easily. This meal is just 5 minutes of preparation, then stick it in the oven for a no fuss bake, it’s really as simple as that!
No it does not have to take hours to make healthy meals!
Recipe below 🙂
Roast Salad Recipe
- 5-6 chicken drumsticks
- Hot cajun spice or a spice of your preference
- 4-5 carrots – quartered length ways
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 2 cups mixed lettuce leaves
- Olive oil
- Salad dressing of your choice (see link below for a homemade one)
- Preheat oven to 220°C (420°F)
- Lay out your ingredients on a baking tray
- Sprinkle some cajun spice over the drumsticks
- Drizzle some olive oil over the carrots and wish them around with your hands to coat them
- Leave the sweet potato whole, they go so soft, tasty and succulent when you cook them like this
- Bake for 1 hour
- Serve on a bed of lettuce leave and top with salad dressing for a thoroughly enjoyable meal
Note: This can be cooked the night before and taken in a lunchbox for work or play.
You’ll notice that I labelled the recipe ‘anti-inflammatory’, but why would I do that? When I compiled the anti-inflammatory food index, the research showed that 2 key anti-inflammatory nutrients come from orange foods, these are beta carotene and vitamin A. Surprisingly chicken also contains a high amount of monounsaturated fat. This is the same type of fat as in olive oil and studies have shown beneficial effects from having monounsaturated fats in the diet, including decreased inflammation.
Right now I’m doing a self experiment and following a more anti-inflammtory diet composed out of the anti-inflammatory index. So you will be finding many more easy anti-inflammatory recipes to come very soon so be sure to subscribe for updates
Nutritionist & Health Counselor
P.S. Share this recipe around, it’s so simple your friends will love it.