lots of vegetables you can use instead.
This one uses loads of spinach, along with some other veggies. But feel free to try something different because I’m sure it will taste great with whatever you put into it!
Pasta Free Beef Healthy Lasagna Recipe
- 1 kg (2.2 oz) lean ground beef mince
- 1 large onion – diced
- 1 x 400 g (14 oz) tin diced tomatoes
- 250 g (8.8 oz) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 2 carrots – chopped into thin slices
- 2 zucchini – chopped into thin slices
- ½ bunch spinach – leaves washed
- cheese slices or cottage cheese
- Oil for cooking
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, add onion and cook until browning
- Add beef and fry off until almost all of it is slightly browned
- Stir in the tomato paste and mixed herbs and cook off for 2 minutes, stirring to combine
- Add the tomatoes and ½-1 cup water, then simmer sauce for 15-20 minutes
- Meanwhile heat the oven to 200°C (390°F)
- In a rectangular baking dish, layer the lasagna as follows
- one layer of spinach in the bottom, a thin layer of meat, a thin layer of cheese or cottage cheese, a layer of zucchini, a layer of spinach, a layer of meat, a thin layer of cheese or cottage cheese, a layer of carrot, a layer of meat, a thin layer of cheese or cottage cheese.
- Place in the oven for 45 minutes or until cooked (it should be by then but you might like it extra crispy on top)
- Slice into 4 serves and enjoy
Pasta Free Beef Healthy Lasagna Nutrition
This is not a low calorie dish but that never worries me too much because the quality of the food you eat is much more important that quantity. Since this is made with 100% fresh ingredients and is low carb, it is a meal that is safe to include in a low carb or diabetic menu.